Home / Blog / Working In Passenger Transportation

Working In Passenger Transportation

transport and logistics

Planes, trains and automobiles – passenger transportation is about moving people, as passengers rather than as self-drivers.

People move about from one place to another every minute of every day. They travel by road, rail, water and air using buses, coaches, trams, trains, taxis, boats, planes and helicopters.

This daily mass movement of people requires drivers, pilots, captains and crew. It also requires route planners, customer service personnel and safety operatives as well as the support of many others working in finance, IT, human resources and communications to name just a few.

Working As A Bus or Coach Driver

As a bus or coach driver you might work for the local community, driving pupils or transporting hospital patients or elderly people. You might work for a bus company or perhaps a holiday firm or long distance coach transportation company.

Where the work is commercial in a direct sense (dealing directly with independent members of the public rather than working for a school for example) then you will check tickets and passes, take money for fares off passengers and provide information on routes and timetables.

You need to be over 18 years old and have held a full driving licence for a year. You will also need to hold a passenger carrying vehicle licence (PCV) and a certificate of professional competence (CPC) – you have to undertake 35 hours of CPC training every five years and when you are 45 years old, you will need to renew your bus driving licence.

It goes without saying that you need to have good driving skills but you will also need excellent customer service skills as you will be dealing with the public. If you are driving outside of the UK, you will need a good understanding of road traffic regulations for other countries.

Working As A Tram or Train Driver

Tram and train drivers need customer service skills and the confidence to deal with the public, just as drivers of buses and coaches do.

There are no set entry qualifications to work as a tram driver, but in reality you will need GCSEs in maths and English. You need to have held a full driving licence for at least a year too.

As a tram driver you need to be alert, observant and able to remain focused.

The rules for working as a driver of a train are different. To operate a train on the London underground you must be 18 and to operate a train on the national rail network you must be at least 21. You need to apply to be a trainee driver initially and you will have to undergo eyesight, colour vision and hearing tests.

Working In Water Transportation – super yachts

Water passenger transportation is done by yacht, canal boat, ferry and ship. Cruise ships, ferries and large yachts require a large crew and many other onboard staff and they all require somebody to steer, captain or man the helm so to speak – a driver of sorts.

The captain is responsible for the crew, the passengers and safety. They have command of the vessel. To become a captain, you will need not only extensive qualifications covering both ship handling and leadership, you will also need to build up a wealth of experience.

Watch this short video on Warsash Super Yacht Academy






About Lynette Daly

Lynette is the publishing editor of Moving On magazine. Moving On is devoted to helping young people make good choices for their future – education, qualifications and careers. Moving On really wants to motivate you! Our articles cover a range of topics to inspire and give ideas. Our magazines are delivered free to all schools, colleges and sixth forms in England and is also available online.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top