Home / Education & Teaching / Love Science? Why Not Consider A Career Teaching STEM?

Love Science? Why Not Consider A Career Teaching STEM?

career teaching stem

STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and maths and a career teaching STEM could mean teaching physics, chemistry, biology, maths or computer science.

A career teaching STEM – We’re going to take a look at becoming a physics or maths teacher.

Teaching physics
Physics teachers are in high demand and the funding available to support you while you train is generous. You could be eligible for a bursary or scholarship of up to £30,000 tax-free, depending on your degree classification.

Teaching maths
Maths is a core subject in education and like physics, teachers of the subject are in demand. This demand is reflected in the offers available to support training for the job. While you train to become a maths teacher, you could benefit from a tax-free £25,000 bursary or a £27,500 scholarship.

What you need for a career teaching STEM

For all teaching posts you will need GCSEs (grade 9 – 4) in English, science and maths. You will also need relevant Level 3 qualifications to get onto a degree course.

You will need to have or be predicted a good degree (2:1 or above) to access a bursary or scholarship. You could study for a degree in maths or physics with education and qualified teacher status (QTS) or you could study for a maths or physics degree and then undertake a teacher training course to gain qualified teacher status.

If your degree is not directly linked to the subject that you intend to teach (perhaps you have completed a degree in another STEM subject), then you could complete a subject knowledge enhancement course after you graduate.

 The skills that you need as a teacher include:

Great subject knowledge
The ability to inspire young people and promote understanding
General IT skills for admin work and lesson preparation
The confidence and ability to manage student behaviour

To teach in maintained (state) schools in England you need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS) through an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course. You can choose to study full time or part time, through a school-led or university-led route.

The university route means completing your Level 3 study at school or college (A-levels, including maths and physics), progressing to full time university study and achieving a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) for teaching physics.

The school-led route, involves training within a school or group of schools and being employed once you have qualified (have achieved QTS, qualified teacher status).

About Lynette Daly

Lynette is the publishing editor of Moving On magazine. Moving On is devoted to helping young people make good choices for their future – education, qualifications and careers. Moving On really wants to motivate you! Our articles cover a range of topics to inspire and give ideas. Our magazines are delivered free to all schools, colleges and sixth forms in England and is also available online.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top