Home / Blog / Can I get a career in law if I’ve studied for a business degree?

Can I get a career in law if I’ve studied for a business degree?

career in law

Many people choose to study law at university with a view to going into a career in law. Others study something like business and then wonder – can I get a career in law?

Well – yes, it is possible however to convert your business degree or another degree through a law conversion course in order to enter a career in law.

If you do not graduate with a LLB (law) degree but nevertheless you want to become a lawyer, it is possible to convert your degree by studying the GDL (graduate diploma in law) or CPE (Common Professional Examination).

Study takes one year studying full time or two years studying part time and you need to apply for study when you are in the final year of your degree. The fees for the GDL range from £8,500 to £11,000 depending on where you study.

What you will study

You would gain a basic foundation in legal theory as well as studying contract law, constitutional and administrative law, criminal law, equity and trusts, European law, property law and tort. In addition to these core modules you will study another subject which will be decided by the institution that you are studying with, or you will be offered a choice from subjects such as: immigration law, legal ethics and patent law.

There are specialist lawyers operating in every field – from motorsport to media – as an example, you can take a look at how you could specialise in healthcare law here.

You can read more about careers in law and routes into these here. and about careers in law besides being a barrister here.

About Lynette Daly

Lynette is the publishing editor of Moving On magazine. Moving On is devoted to helping young people make good choices for their future – education, qualifications and careers. Moving On really wants to motivate you! Our articles cover a range of topics to inspire and give ideas. Our magazines are delivered free to all schools, colleges and sixth forms in England and is also available online.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top