Home / Recent Articles / Hot Topics / Further Education / Do I have to go to uni to get a degree?

Do I have to go to uni to get a degree?

go to uni to get a degree

Did you know that you don’t need to go to uni to get a degree? You can do it at your local college of further education – find out all about the benefits of further education here.

You can study for all sorts of higher education qualifications at a college of further education, instead of going to university? You could do an HNC, HND, Foundation Degree, or a Bachelor’s Degree as well as lots of other HE qualifications, all at a college of further education.

Higher National Certificates and Diplomas

An HNC or HND (Higher National Certificate or Diploma) is a common progression from doing a Level 3 National Diploma, and as with a National Diploma, there are directed at industry. HNDs normally take one year to complete and are roughly equivalent to the first year of degree study. HNDs are equivalent to the first two years of a degree and take two years to complete full time.

Pathways directly into employment

HNCs and HNDs provide a pathway directly into employment and with many sectors reporting a shortage of associated professionals who are qualified to just below degree level, they’re a great option.

Foundation degrees at college

Foundation Degrees are also vocational in nature so they’re a good option for those who want to gain workplace-based skills whilst also gaining a more academic platform into their chosen career. Although a Foundation Degree is a degree in its own right – many students go on to top up their Foundation Degree to a full Honours Degree.

Three benefits of studying HE in FE

The costs of studying at college

Studying at an FE college can be a lot cheaper than university. Fees are often lower and there are no associated accommodation costs if you are staying at home.

Class sizes at college

Studying at college will normally mean smaller class sizes, which means more opportunity to interact with lessons and lecturers and more one-to-one support.

Financial support at college

Often bursaries and scholarships are available.  With fewer students, there will be less competition when it comes to securing this kind of financial support to help you through your studies.

How to apply for a college course

Full time courses will be listed and can be applied for via the UCAS website. Now that you know that you don’t have to go to uni to get a degree, if you choose to study part time, you will need to apply directly to your chosen college. Full details of entry requirements and fees can usually be found on the college website.

About Lynette Daly

Lynette is the publishing editor of Moving On magazine. Moving On is devoted to helping young people make good choices for their future – education, qualifications and careers. Moving On really wants to motivate you! Our articles cover a range of topics to inspire and give ideas. Our magazines are delivered free to all schools, colleges and sixth forms in England and is also available online.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top